1/4 cup drained capers
2 tablespoons and 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
12 ounces ciabatta or other country-style bread up to 3 days old
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
11 ripe tomatoes
2 cloves of minced garlic
salt and pepper
1/2 cup basil leaves , thinly sliced
1 cup of roasted red peppers , sliced
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- Soak the capers in 2 tablespoons of vinegar in a small bowl for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Cut the bread in half, lengthwise drizzling about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on both sides of the bread. Once grilled, cut or tear bread into 1 inch cubes .
- Submerge the tomatoes into a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a large bowl of ice water to cool slightly. Using a small sharp paring knife, peel off the tomato skins. Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the tomatoes into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the bread cubes, tomatoes, and basil; toss to combine.
- Arrange peppers, capers and olives in a large bowl, add and hand mix in the bread. Then add the olive oil mixture and toss once. Cover and let sit room temperature for at least 2 hours before serving.