Giouvetsi or youvetsi is a Greek national dish made with chicken, lamb or beef and pasta, kritharaki or hilopites, and tomato sauce.
1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
2 medium onions finely chopped
2 lb chicken breast cut into cubes
1 large tomato grated
Salt and ground pepper to taste
pinch of cinnamon
1 cup of white wine
2 1/2 cups orzo (any short-cut pasta)
5 cups of water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onion with a pinch of salt until translucent.
- Add the chicken, tomato, and water; season with salt and pepper and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook until chicken is cooked through or for about 10 to 13 minutes.
- Add the orzo and wine; stir well, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Adjust the salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Servings: 6 to 7
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.