Everyone’s favorite crowd-pleasing Mexican flavored nachos get a major, all-American twist with this recipe!
We tested 3 different versions, all with the same cooking methods and ingredients, but could not agree on which style was the best, so we’re highlighting all three. A traditional for those who like the presentation and pulling the cheese away from the pack. The grab and go, making it more like a finger food, and then the individual, for those like a loaded mouthful and limited cleanup.
When you use the corn tortillas, you now have a gluten free choice added to your table.
WHAT WE USED:
- 16 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 small white onions, finely chopped
- 8 slices of American cheese, sliced in half, whole or strips ( grab, individual and platter)
- 1 package of cooked bacon ( whole slices except for platter, crumble)
- Ketchup, yellow mustard and thousand Islands use all or mix and match to taste..squiggle across
- Optional…tomatoes and lettuce…works better on the platter and the individual
- Preheat the oven to 350. Brush both sides of tortillas with oil.
- Stack the tortillas a cut to the size of your choice…whole for individual, half for grab and go, in quarters for a platter.
- Spread the chips out on a single layer baking sheet and bake until they begin to get golden, turning once. The crisper it gets the better it will hold the mixture. Time is about 12-16 minutes. (leave oven on)
- Meantime in a skillet, add the ground beef and 2 teaspoons of salt and cook over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces and stirring occasionally, until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Evenly divide the beef mixture among the tortilla chips.
- Place one piece of American cheese over the beef on each chip for the individual and half for the grab and go and bake until the cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Evenly top each chip, platter or individual with pickles onions and if using the shredded lettuce and tomatoes and top with bacon.
- Top it off with a squeeze of ketchup and mustard or Thousand Island (or all three) and serve.
We would love for you to join our list to never miss ways to start enjoying your art of living, today, exactly where you are!